CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our first broken bone!



Last Wednesday when I got home from the gym I jumped in the shower, was hurrying to get ready cause I ony had a few minutes before Kaia got out of school the phone rang... I see the school's number and assume it is the health office. Let me explain... This shouldn't be a good thing but everytime I see the school's number I assume it is the health office telling me that one of my children has peed their pants (yes it happens that much!) So sure enough they say, "Hello this is the Iverson elem health office..." I cut them off and say, "Ah, yes who do you have this time?" (like the insensitive mother that I am :) There is a silence and then she says, "Yes, we have Matthew in the health office, he has fallen off the monkey bars at recess and hurt his wrist. It looks bent so you need you have it checked out." So now I'm thinking what a creep I sounded like on the phone before and we probably have our first broken bone. So I call our doctor and ask if I should bring him in there first or go right to the emergency room, they tell me the emergency room. I grab some make-up and some bobby pins and I rush up to the school to get Matty. He's sitting in the health office with his teacher. His left arm is resting on a blanket, and it was covered by a paper towel. They lifted up the paper towel to show me his arm, and as soon as I saw it I knew it was broken. It looked so gross, all bent weird and stuff.
So long story short, we get to the hospital, it's x-rayed, and it is broken. The radius is broken all the way through and the ulna has a greenstick fracture. So he broke both bones in his left arm. I kept thinking as the doctors and nurses are asking him how he did it if they are secrectly thinking that I did it.
We went to the orthopaedic doctor the next day and Matty picked out a red cast. I got to sign it first, and then everyone else he sees he asks them to sign it. He's got to wear the long cast for six weeks and then the short cast for six weeks! So come January we will be cast free!
That eliminates the rest of the soccer season, and wrestling for this year too. My calendar just opened wide up! Of course we still go to the soccer games to support the team (and Matthew loves the attention :) It could have been way worse, and now we have our first broken bone out of the way :)

 
Before the sling
 
After the sling--much happier
 
In this x-ray you can see both fractures.
 
Posted by Picasa

They had him rest his arm on a stack of baby wipes.

P.S. I can't wait for the bill for this adventure :)

10 comments:

Michelle

That's awful...poor guy. I can definitely wait for our first broken bone...I don't want to have to go through that.

.

How sad! His face looks heart broken. Annika Urry (Brittany and Ryan's little girl) did something similar her first week of school. It makes me wonder how many broken bars the monkey bars cause each year.

Janelle

That doesn't sound like much fun. You sure take everything in stride though!

Kara

Poor kid! Those x-rays look crazy. Hey it might be pretty nice to have a little more free time these days. What a pain!

LaAna

OUCH!!! Bet you'll never answer the school's call the same way again, hu? Poor thing, he looked like he took it well, so I think he deserves a BIG toy!

Sheri

It will be a very long time in a cast for him. We just got Morgan out of her cast 3 weeks ago. She was so excited to have it off. All summer without swimming. Luckily it will be getting cooler for him, maybe it won't be as sweaty and stinky!!

Kasey

So did you ask him what he was doing on the monkey bars to break his arm? I know that will be Colin some day for sure. That kid is so accident prone. It's fun they can choose their cast color and I am sure he's loving the attention from all of the kids at school now.

Steph

I was talking with Brad Iverson (he's an AP at an elementary school) he said they get 4-6 broken arms a year from monkey bar falls! Last wednesday we met two other kids who had broken their arms falling off the monkey bars too. Crazy!

Jamie G.

Wow...even Thomas shuddered at that one!! Sierra broke her elbow falling off of the monkey bars there at Iverson.

Brad and Leslie

OK - first, EEWWWW! Broken bones gross me out.

Second - Matty is 100% Iverson, ok?! He looks just like you did when you were little! It's freaky to me, but so adorable!!!